What's new S4 Auto owners getting for fuel economy??

As the title states. I'm considering purchasing a new V8 S4 with Auto. But I've been hearing that the fuel economy is very bad. The auto is epa rated at 18 and 25. Just wanted to know how far off those numbers are.

Reply to
quattroA4cars

Probably not far off at all and might even be fairly optimistic depending on how you drive the car. I've got a 04 S4 MT6, which does rate slightly lower than the auto due to the transmission gearing (15/21 I believe) and I don't get much more than 15 mpg for local driving. Bottom line is, if you're concerned about fuel economy, don't buy an S4.

- Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Giannetto

"quattroA4cars" wrote

If you're worried about fuel economy, you should not be buying a V8 in the first place. If can afford a new S4, you can also affor the gas. And if you can't afford the gas, perhaps you can't afford a new S4 either.

And please don't tell me you're in the US, where the gas costs half of what it costs in other countries...

Sorry, but posts like this crack me up.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Do earlier 2.7L V6 twin turbo S4's have better fuel efficiency? (note I did not say "economy"!).

Thanks,

dk

Reply to
Dan Koren

"Dan Koren"

It all depends on how heavy your foot is, really. B5 S4 is a bit lighter, so it may get slightly better gas mileage, but the turbos like to guzzle gas nonetheless. Heck, my 1.8TQ only gets about 19 mpg around town.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I drive the biturbo, but have had an hour's testdrive in the V8. I reset most things before I set off (and again when I returned it!!), and it seemed to return a lower MPG - more so than I'd have expected, I pretty much caned it as much as I normally do!

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Pete, I can afford both the car and the fuel. Not to sound like a tree hugger, but I do have some concerns for the global ecology as well as our counties dependency on foreign oil. Yes, I'm in the US. I've been driving BMW sixes and lately have two VW/Audi 1.8t. Hell, I've not driven a car since the early eighties that has gotten on average, less than 20mpg. So I want to remain in that range.

Hey, I was looking for numbers, not some dumb ass remarks. If the car gets what it's advertised at, I'm all in. But if, as my original question stated, the numbers are way off, then I'll pass. That's all I was looking for.

Sorry, but dump ass responses like yours really crack ME up!!!

Glenn

Reply to
quattroA4cars

"quattroA4cars" wrote

Once again, don't buy a V8 then. Get an electric car or a hybrid.

It's amazing what you can do with google if you only try:

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

It's not about affording the gas, it's about wasting it. 15 MPG is ridiculous, especially for a smaller car..

Doug Warner

I hate this analogy.

So if I have a V8 engine and getting 5mpg I shouldn't be concerned? Because it's a V8 and I should have known better?

What about asking the question just to make sure that the car is getting what the average prudent driver is getting?

How many questions is he limit on an online forum?

Reply to
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

I have a 2004 S4 6 speed and drive mostly city at 12-13 Mpg. Hwy driving at 80Mph is more about 18Mpg. I can't seem to drive slower for better millage because it feels like I am standing still plus the car is such a joy to drive on the open road. If you set the cruise control you will gt better millage and I hear that the auto transmission gets a bit better hwy milage due to a higher final drive ratio. Honestly I was a bit disappointed with the milage but didn't buy the car as a economy vehicle. Hope this helps

Reply to
Autobahn97

Average 16-18 mpg with the 6-speed Tip. Rationalization (global warming, OPEC, ANWR, etc.): since retiring I only drive the V8 S4 about 3,000 miles/year and drive a Subaru Outback H6 -- or bicycle -- around town.

-B

Reply to
Bruce Pech

Don't worry about 'ecology'. Obviously if you are considering a V8 you are a typical lip service greeny. Get over it, billions have and will never the suffer pseudo-greenyism and guilt you suffer from. If you really did care about the 'ecology' you would not be driving a car, let alone a V8, amongst dozen of other choices you make every day regarding the 'ecology'.

Reply to
Cam Newton

Cam is right, honey. Your interest in driving a V8 at the same time you want to save gas and whatnot is not only impossible, but borders on hypocritical. What's important to you: the V8 or the fuel economy? Buy accordingly.

Reply to
KLS

Thanks Doug. That's more or less my point. People seem to forget that you can get performance AND reasonable economy. I was just asking the question to determine how bad or good the EPA estimates were for this car. As I stated in my reply to Pete. I have no problem with the mpg numbers listed on the EPA sticker for the auto, as that is what I am looking at. But if these are not even close, well then I'll pass on this car, at least until FSI comes out and hopefully improves the mpg. I originally was looking at the V6 with Ultra Sports package. But it has almost the same EPA ratings as the V8. Since the price is not a limiting factor, I thought, why not get the V8, and it's performance if the fuel economy is the same as the V6. Wouldn't you? And most people that I've spoken to about the V6 seem to get better than what it's rated at.

All those who have commended, "if you're looking at a V8, then you can't be concerned about economy" . Let me ask you this. Would you have still purchased this car if the EPA numbers were in the single digits??? Was your criteria really such that you only cared about having a V8? I'm sorry, but for me, it's not as Black and White a decision that it appears to be for all of you who have responded.