what to do with switchblade key from stolen Audi

My 98.5 Audi that was stolen Dec. 8 still hasn't been recovered, and prospects look dim. I've got an extra switchblade key for this car; is there any market value to it? It's not a blank.

Reply to
KLS

i would check with the dealer

Reply to
Boosted_A4

Sorry about your loss. Hold out a little while longer before you start selling off "parts" of the car.

Probably when you sell your extra key, or keys since the thief should not have one, the car will be recovered.

ebay is an option and some sell for $6 while others for up to $36. AND post the numbers off the inside of the remote. I am looking for another switchblade, but don't really need one since I have two types of remotes for my A4.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

i would keep it a while..........if car is located but key is missing then you will need it.

Reply to
Me

Effective tomorrow, my insurance company considers the car stolen and will be sending me a check in exchange for the title.

No, the thief DOES have the key, hence why I think the car has not been recovered and will not be. One colleague of mine says it's in Bulgaria now.

Thanks for these ideas; I think I'll post them cheap there as well as here in case someone else on the group can use them.

Reply to
KLS

The expansion of the Schengen zone means a lot more stolen cars will be heading to points East.

Reply to
Hooch

I better go out right now and put 'The Club' on mine then! ;-) It still needs an oil pump and a turbo I think, so the thief would not get too far! lol

I have heard of vehicles being found even after 2 months time and after the insurance company has paid for them.

I have had 2 vehicles stolen from me but I finally got them back again. BTW they were not worth getting full coverage.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I lost my switchblade remote ... how can I find out what the serial number of the remote is (without relying on the dealer ..... our local dealer is bad news). I have a '99 A4 Quattro

Reply to
Bill

i have only one master key with my A6, i am looking remote key too I was told i at least need to another key for programming the remote key, is that true?

I once asked dealer for remote key, they wanted around $200.

i did some research in internet , i should be able to get switchblade remote around $50 and program it . but so far i still did not get it, i am in GTA, i dont know if your remote i can use for my car

Reply to
eagle_ca

Yes.

They are expensive new.

What year is your car? If it's a 97-99, this remote should work for it. The switchblade key itself probably won't fit unless by some miracle the cut is the same on your car. I'll sell this for a lot less than $50 if you're interested (someone else told me you can buy the blank switchblade at the dealer and have them cut it for $40).

Reply to
KLS

yes or a vag-com tool. your valet key or plastic key might work too as the 2nd key.

Is that with the key cut and programmed to your vehicle for the $200? there are some places that can cut a key blank for less, but you have to install it in the remote section with a tiny tool. I would buy more than one blank to save some shipping costs. ;-)

I bought a couple of switchblade remotes off of Ebay to convert my '97 A4 over, got one of them working after some new batteries and then bought the key from the dealer for $40. So right now I am up to $63 for the switchblades and I still have to get my other remote working AND get some key blanks cut. Oh and I bought the original remote for $17 shipped off of Ebay. the parts numbers should be the same, or close depending on 3 or 4 button remote. ALSO some keys will have immobilizer chips in them which has to be programmed/matched to your vehicle.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1