Wheel alignment on A8

I was going to have a 4-wheel alignment done on my 2000 A8L. The tech said they couldn't do that on the Hunter machine since the Audi requires a drop
wheel alignment where the 4 wheels are not supporting the vehicles during the alignment. He said that there is special equipment and best done by the dealer.
Can someone elaborate on how this process works?
Thanks, -al sung