Wheel Bearing Noise ? Audi 100

I have a '91 Audi 100 non-Q 4 spd automatic
Over the last 3 - 4 months I've noticed a sound as though I'm driving with snow tires on (which I am not). The car has around 145,00 miles on it. The
sound seems to be related to wheel speed and it's not really loud like I've read others describe a bearing to be like. I do have a torn outer CV joint boot and I'm waiting for it to fail to change it. I can't really feel any slop in the bearing when I jack it up and pull on the wheel. Anyone have any ideas if this sounds like either a CV joint or wheel bearing? Any other ideas?
THANKS! Steve

Bearings often start quiet.
As for the CV jont - why wait for an expensive part to fail just 'cos you CBA to replace the boot for a few quid.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

with
I've
any
Steve, Thanks for you help. I have a rebuilt half shaft and planned on switching it out soon. With the noise I was hearing from the wheel I thought I would do both jobs at the same time. I needed to confirm my suspicion before ordering the wheel bearings. No ticking sound from the CV joint yet but I 'll have the new one in before that happens.
THANKS!
Steve

Hi Steve,
I had a strange noise like this and no one was able to tell me what it was. Someone actually suggested to change everything (bearing and cv joint). In the end, I found out that the big nut in the middle of the wheel was not tight. Have someone check that first before you spent money on anything. I had no more problems after that was fixed.
Christoph

Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.