Where is the thermostat located on a "96 A6

I need to change the thermostat on my wife's car and don't want to start taking things apart without knowing where to start. any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Doug.
Why change it. Unless it's defective.

He said he *needed* to change it [thermostat], so presumably it is defective. The Haynes manual says it's on the front left of the block (actually in the block on the five-cylinder engines).
Regards
Jonathan
Prepare for a long, long day. You need to remove the timing belt cover. I had a local shop do it and I believe they charged 4 hours, per Haynes book. I figure it would take me 8 without the shop and all the correct tools.