Where's my starter

I've got the 1994 Audi 100 S, 2.8 liter engine. It is not starting. When I turn the key I can hear a click followed by a very low level buxx that last
about 2-3 seconds. I believe the problem is the starter.
I decided to pull it out and have it tested. The problem is I can't find it! I have the Bentley manual on CD and can find no clue as to where the atarter is located on the engine. I've looked both from the top and underneath and cna find nothing that looks to be it.
Any suggestions?
Jeff wrote:

More likely your Battery is bad. Have it checked at a parts store.
Could even be the battery cables. 1994. I have had cables that looked good, but under the plastic cover, the copper strands were all green from corrosion.

Audi like putting things in the boot/trunk :-). I would also say test the battery first.
Jeff wrote:

Maybe you've found the reason for it not starting and haven't realised it ....
They are usually attached to the gearbox near the clutch which is usually where the engine and gearbox meet so I'd start there. I beleive Audi pioneered the principal of 'put it in the most inaccessible place' so underneath is a good place to start.
Most 'starter' probs are the battery and the easiest way to test that theory is a jump start from a mates car. If it works it's the battery, if not it may well be the starter and your mate can help you look for it;-)
Mike

Or the engine ground strap. I have had that problem on older Audis before. It may look good, but may be corroded almost completely to powder. Move it around to see if it crumbles. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
I will venture to say that the starter is usually located on the right side of the engine by the block and the bolts are on the other side of the bellhousing of the transmission. One might be difficult to get to.
But like everyone else said.............check the battery and its cabling. ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)