Where's the gasket?

I just pulled the bottom oil pan from my 1994 100 S. As I unscred the bolts, the pan just came off. I expected to have to pry it off from the gasket. Well it certainly appears that there is not even a gasket on there.
(It was not leaking!!) Am I nuts?
Likewise I had to take off the oil cooler to get at the oil pressure sending unit housing. I purchase a oil cooler seal for when I put it back on. However, it appears that there was not a seal on there. What's going on?
Jeff Nagel

when we used to make good motorcycles the engine cases were gasket free. The very slightest smear of herme was all that was required..............hence the reason why these old bikes now leak. The cases have become distorted with time. It is rather odd to find this today.