Why do R8

owners sell them with very few miles on the clock.

Well, they are not a practical car. Two seats - lots of power. Those that buy them can usually afford to dump them after a few thousand fun miles.
I drove the R8 at Pocono Raceway at an Audi Hands On. I felt like I should have taken off my clothes I was having so much fun. I planned on buying one when they first came out, but the price was just a little more than I wanted to spend. I was and still am driving an 03 RS6, chipped to 507bhp. That is just about all this old man (72) can now handle. And, it is my daily driver while I'm in Massachusetts. I have a 2010 MB E550 Coup here in Georgia. Lots of fun and lux, but it sure ain't an RS6. Or an R8.
Dave