windshield washer leak!

Hi: I bought this 2000 A4 1.8T Q MT 2 weeks before. after two days the windshield washer warning comes up. I refilled it, 3 days later comes again. So, I think there must be leak some where. Any ideas? Is this a
big job? Should I do it at dealers or some other work shop? I have a 6 month Lubrico Warranty with the car, since I bought it from a used car dealer. Will they cover this leak?by any chance anyone konws?
Thanks you very much!
husky
Probably the headlight washer pump. It is a common failure.
--
Alexandre
2001 Audi A4 2.8QM

christoph wrote:

Huh! 1 to 2 hours labor? I'm an almost all thumbs type of do it your selfer, but I've managed to repair or replace the windshield reservoirs on 4 generations of Audis. I've done the replacements well under an hour, and that's without prior knowedge of how they were mounted. In two instances the problem turned out to be simply the hose seperating from the tank, while the other times the reservoirs cracked. The first time I replaced the reservior with a new one purchased from an on line Audi parts dealer for less than $50 and the other time I bought one from a junk yard for less than $20, again on line. Bottom line this is an item you can do yourself in under an hour. It's about as complex as changing the oil on the car.
Re: Re: windshield washer leak!
> Huh! 1 to 2 hours labor? I'm an almost all thumbs type of do it your selfer, > but I've managed to repair or replace the windshield reservoirs on 4 > generations of Audis. I've done the replacements well under an hour, and > that's without prior knowedge of how they were mounted. In two instances > the problem turned out to be simply the hose seperating from the tank, > while the other times the reservoirs cracked. The first time I replaced the > reservior with a new one purchased from an on line Audi parts dealer for > less than $50 and the other time I bought one from a junk yard for less > than $20, again on line. Bottom line this is an item you can do yourself in > under an hour. It's about as complex as changing the oil on the car.
Think so huh!
Most models with the split headlamp washer pump require removel of lower engine shield, LF wheel, inner fender liner, and removing 3 bolts securing reservoir. Then you have to remove old washer pump and replace with new updated pump. What's new about it....the connector on your wiring harness will have to be replaced to fit the new pump. They changed the shape. This requires you to have the skill and tools to remove old connector and replace with new connector.
This procedure is easy for a tech and doesn't take a lot of time. Because we have the tools and skills.
have fun!
Have a Great day!
kcvwdoc
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org

If you are right about that fender liner then all I can say is that Audi is building a better mouse trap for the consumer's wallet. There is no reason to put together a design that requires pulling off the fender liner to remove the washer reservoir. Maybe that's why Audi has fallen in the customer satisfaction ratings. Notice that a number of respondents to this thread turned away from the dealer and were just planning to pass this problem on when they unloaded their cars. Given that type of attitude do you think they are going to get another Audi? I doubt it. But, I shouldn't just blame Audi, this is the type of "screw the consumer type of attitude" that is endemic to the auto industry, in both the manufacturing and service areas, more so in the service area.
By the way the guy should still take a shot at replacing that washer himself. There is no greater satisfaction than doing the job yourself and keeping the dollar out of the stealership's hands.
Get a grip. The washer reservoir is down inside wasted space for two reasons. It absorbs energy in a collision, and it keeps 15 pounds of weight down low.
Perhaps when you design cars, we can go back to the '66 Galaxie....
The '66 Galaxie had no fender liners or under panels. The water bag was hung on two screws. You could change it yourself with ease. Of course, it got 6 miles to the gallon and killed everyone inside upon impact.
Snip...........
JPF wrote:

Valid point about the placement of the washer but I doubt if safety was the primary reason for that particular method of mounting. The more likely reason was cost and time during the manufacturing process. By the way Audi didn't place that high on the crash worthiness test even with the placement of the collapsible water cell, doing double duty as a washer reservoir, down low in engine bay.
I guess you gripped a little too hard when you came up with that explanation.
You are right. My Galaxie was also so flexible that even with a full cage I could feel the thing bend. Especially on fast down hill turns

Re: Re: windshield washer leak!
> By the way the guy should still take a shot at replacing that washer > himself. There is no greater satisfaction than doing the job yourself and > keeping the dollar out of the stealership's hands.
But then again when you purchase a new car...you sure do want the techs there to jump and fix your car at the low warranty labor times the factory pays us.
when these cars are out of warranty you are going to have to pay the piper. And believe me when i say the cars being built in the last 3 years are very high tech and you will be lucky to find any independents able to work on the systems.
Good luck! :)
Have a Great day!
kcvwdoc
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
Like the AMGs any engine maintenance on the new RS6 requires an engine removal. Its the nature of the beast - imagine a 427 with all today's safety and computer stuff in a Pinto or a Zephyr?

Re: windshield washer leak!
> I bought this 2000 A4 1.8T Q MT 2 weeks before. after two days the > windshield washer warning comes up. I refilled it, 3 days later comes > again. So, I think there must be leak some where. Any ideas? Is this a > big job? Should I do it at dealers or some other work shop? The headlamp washer pump is more than likely leaking. They tend to crack and then come apart and leak. You will have to replace the pump.
Have a Great day!
kcvwdoc
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
Hi: Thanks for all helps! I went back to the used car dealership, they replaced the washer pump(For windshield)with no charge at all. They bought the part from audi dealer right away. :) But at the same time, I found the headlamp washer does not work! the cap is not going to open. I asked them to fix it, they said no~ :(
thanks again for help
husky
I have a 99.5 A4 that had the same problem--the headlight washer fluid pump disintegrated, producing a gusher of a leak. Since that thing reportedly uses gobs of fluid to wash the headlights, I simply pulled the bad pump and replaced it with a wine bottle cork, which fit perfectly. No problems since. Dave