World record for Audi cam belt mileage?

Hi all,

I've seen countless threads here about squashed valves on the A4 1,8T (and other Audi models) due to cam belt failure, and the possible need to change the belt sooner than Audi recommend.

I'd like to ask a question in the opposite direction:

What is the *longest* mileage that you have dared let your Audi go before getting the belt changed?

(I can't exactly say I'm in the running to win - I chickened out and got mine done today, after 113 000 km, given the recommended interval in my car's case, of 120 000 km)

/Robert, with a 2001 A4 Avant (B5 chassis) 1,8TS

Reply to
Robert

Robert, I'm not sure what the "record" is, but the timing belts have a change interval that's both for mileage - around 60k miles or so - and a time limit - aka 5 years or so. I would say that someone that only drives their A4 (or whatever) to the church around the corner on Sundays should change the belt well before the mileage says so. There's also the problem of belt failures - we have read here about failures here _before_ the suggested interval (which could have been well short of that _printed_ in the owner's manual) - are failures normally distributed or some other dist'n (dust of the ol' stats book)? Just tell yourself that your belt would have failed the day after it was replaced - because the Audi Gods (R) (TM) would have commanded it shortly after you gave the belt a passing thought. You should also say that there'll always be 1 belt that lasted longer than yours.....and hundreds more that took out the engine while their owners (consciously or not) tried to push the envelope. As far as how long I've let belts go - I'm going to replace the belt on my

5k due to age, and the one on my 5ktq is around, say 30k km (it was last changed with the head gasket) - I'm sure the 5ktq will be changed again well before 60k (crank seal leak needs to be fixed) - it's just like an oil change....there are no prizes for stretching out the interval. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"Robert" wrote in message news:7ilNf.46635$ snipped-for-privacy@newsb.telia.net...

Reply to
Steve Sears

"Robert" wrote

Heh... had you bought your car in the US, your recommended interval would have been 120 000 miles (193 000 km)! I suppose someone at AoA just switched the units but forgot to convert kilometers to miles. :)

Pete

Reply to
Pete

quit caring whether it broke, it never did ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Most negligent)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Well I just changed mine for the first in the cars life and it lasted

290,000km over 13 years so i would say thats pretty incredible on the 2.8 SOHC A4 Q
Reply to
cryofuzion