02 325i Air pump and diverter valve

The check engine light came on so I took it into the shop.. Turns out that theres a air pump and a diverter valve that inject into the exhaust system to burn up extra hydro carbons. They want to charge me
$550 for parts and labor ot replace both the pump and the valve.....
Does anyone know anything about this?
Does that price sound right?
Thanks
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:25:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@uwgb.edu wrote:

Yep... "secondary exhaust system" I believe it's called, and $550 is around the same price I was quoted for replacing the pump, valve and hoses.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

Ok, But I think this is only for the pump and the valve.... Is this something that could be done myself? Or is it the parts that are super expensive?
Thanks - jon
P.S. My car makes this really loud screaming noise right after I start it and I start backing it up. Someone told me that could be related is that true?
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:05:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@uwgb.edu wrote:

Yep... that's probably the air pump.
Don't know about the 325i but I get a lot of info on my car from this guy's site.
Subject: Secondary emissions air pump replacement procedure http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/57582
--
I told you this was going to happen.

Cool, Im sort of hoping if I get this fixed that the noise will go to. It just happens when I put the car in reverse for some reason though... weird.. anyways I dont know much about these but lets say I do this work myself..... Do I need to reset the codes myself? I imagine a code reader for these cars is super expensive huh?
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:19:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@uwgb.edu wrote:

Buying a code reader was the first thing I did after I bought my car.
It's about $200 U.S. but saves you that much by the second time you've used it.
Plus you get the peace of mind of being able to tell if the mechanic you take it to is a crook or not. There's no reason you should ever tell your mechanic that you own a code reader.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

No that is a loose fan belt - tighten (free) or replace ($10 & easy DIY or perhaps $50 in a shop)

Can you elaorate on how to tighten this fan belt? I dont even see any belts when I open the hood. I've worked on cars before just dont know where to look on this one
Thanks - jon
In article

You can't - it has an automatic tensioner in the form of a jockey pulley. The serpentine belts used don't normally slip unlike the older V-belts. They also have a longer life - about 70,000 miles. Easy enough to change too. But rather more expensive than $10 - at least in the UK.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups