1 series verus 3 series

I'm looking at buying either a new 3 series or a new 1 series coupe. Is there really any difference in them ?? I've looked on the web site only so far, but wiull be visiting the dealer in the next month or so. So far, all I can determine is styling.

Reply to
Jack

"Jack" wrote

1 series is around 200 lbs lighter. Back seat much smaller, suitable only for groceries or children. Not as many gizmos. Sport package or 135i has 2-piston front brakes.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Jack if you have long legs like me you will prefere 3 series, Im 1,90meter tall,and no mather what i did with seat,or any combination with steering wheel and seat I simply couldnt see whole speed pannel,why I`m telling you that,its just one detail that mathers to me........and I felt like i had more space in 3 series,perhaps i didnt try all positions in 1 series..... In start model I think in 1series are a more powefoul engine,that on start model in 3 series? And I think Some adidtional stuff like an M sign on steering wheel,and some other dettail,but maybe im wrong????

Reply to
TomiTheMan

There isn't a whole lot... the 1 series is marginally lighter than the

3 series... a couple hundred pounds. The wheelbase is a little shorter. It's still a huge car, all things considered.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The 1 is smaller. It gets the same engine options, but I'm not sure if the motors are detuned or not. I suspect not.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My 128i Cv. has a bit more front seat room, and more leg and head room than my E46 sedan but the rear leg space is pretty limited in the 1. The seats are very similar between the E90 and E82, but the 1 doesn't have the pivoting head rests of the 3, if that's important to you. The shorter wheelbase of the 1er makes for more responsive handling - although mine is also very stable at highway speeds. The EPA mileage ratings are virtually the same, even though claims a better Cd for the 3.

One other consideration is that it's much more difficult to get any discounts on the 1, as only 10,000 units are being imported for model year

2008. So the MSRP $6,000 price difference may be a bit less in reality.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Drivetrains are exactly the same (including FD ratios) so the 1 has slightly better acceleration than the 3.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Actually the 135i front brakes are 6 piston, fixed-caliper.

Reply to
joe_tide

"joe_tide" wrote

Thanks for the correction - I was trying to say that they're "bigger & better" than the 335i. I notice that the latest Roundel says that they fade on the track and probably need track pads.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Thanks Tom...joe, Floyd, Scott, Jeff..and any others I may have inadvertantly missed. I'm thinking of going with the I-35..no kids..5'8" (173 cms) so the roof shouldn't be an issue. I do like the 1 series styling and that they are coupes or rag-tops. The purchsae won't be made till the spring...any rumours on the 09's ?? Thanks

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I sure wouldn't buy that sawed-off 3-series that they try to pass-off as a different model.

Reply to
dizzy

Maybe if you lost like a hundred pounds or so? ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

Depends on whether you need to carry adults in the back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave, since he said he has no kids, I assume he's not going to try to telescope adults into the back seat either. As you indicated, the 1 series makes a great 2+2, but it's certainly not a 4 seater.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I'm already thin as a rail, man.

Reply to
dizzy

The latest roundel said it doesn't handle as well as the 3.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

it's also a tough fit for adults in the back of a 3 series coupe if they're around 6' tall.

Reply to
rocker2002