10 simple things To keep BMW running and looking good

resource: http://superiorvehiclerepair.com/bmw-repair-diy-that-easy-to-do.html
Modern BMW now fully computerize, more cable, and nifty engine covers,
make it difficult to diy repair. but that still easy diy that you can do. To keep BMW running and looking good, and the most important things is it simple to do.
1. Check oil level
Check oil level the first day of each month. newer BMW doesnt have oil dipstick. we can do an oil level check via the on-board computer. oil level and oil change is essential to the longevity of BMW.
2. Wash, Clay, Wax BMW twice a years.
this job may need more time to do, you can do it in weekend or in long holiday. for a year if drive BMW daily. the paint is continually bombarded with dirt and environmental fallout that can destroy its finish. some mechanic recommended that you have a complete detail done to your BMW at least twice a year that would include claying the car, followed by a waxing of the paint. Buffing the paint can also be beneficial, but should only be performed by an experienced detailer.
3. Keep Gas in The Tank
Quarter-tankers are those who cruise into the gas station running on fumes and put a whopping $10 worth of gas in the tank to get them around. Unless you are selling your car tomorrow, fill the damn tank up! While Jackson Browne loves Running on Empty, your BMW hates it and will lead to future repair bills that can be avoided.
4. Check Tire Pressure
Buy a tire pressure gauge and keep it in the glove box. When you are filling up your tank at the gas station, check your tire pressure. On the inside of your drivers door, there is a rough guide for proper pressure. Just because it looks like there is enough air in the tires, doesnt mean there is. Check it regularly to save your tires and maximize your handling and gas mileage.
5. Exercise All BMW Windows and Sunroof
if window or sunroof not working, it will take out money from your pocket and in some dealers this repair is not cheap. Opening and closing all of your BMWs windows and sunroof on a regular basis will keep them lubricated and functioning properly. Just dont do it while its raining out.
6. Be careful when in parking loots / garage
BMWs are low in the front, and have many plastic components that dont get along with bumper strips in parking lots and garages. I constantly see and repair torn bumpers and fender liners due to these bumper strips. If you frequent areas that have these, park the car about a foot shorter into the spot as so you dont introduce your plastic to concrete.
7. Use A/C regulary
Aside from Freon in your air conditioning system, there is also a decent amount of oil to keep the compressor and other components working to full potential. If they sit for too long without movement, it will lead to a noisy compressor ($$$) and dry seals. If you live in a cold climate, at least turn the A/C on twice in the winter for about 5 minutes to get it moving.
8. Open BMW Hood every weeks
Even if you havent a clue what youre looking at, if you opened your hood and saw a birds nest in there youd know it doesnt belong . You might actually see something amiss such as an oil leak or cracked belts and save yourself from a break-down. it also help you keep for bad mechanic that said you have some miss or broken, but actually there is a no problem.
9. Drive BMW in full speed sometimes.
BMWs hate to sit around as much as a kid with a wicked case of ADD. These cars were built to be driven hard, not abused, but driven hard. If you are driving around like a grandmother on her way to Sunday mass, take it out on the freeway once in awhile and put the pedal to the metal and let it run free a bit.
10. Know Maintenance and keep your bmw repair jurnal
Understanding what repairs youve done in the past and what is needed in the future allows you to plan ahead and keeps your BMW running strong. If you hear a weird noise that only happens once in awhile, write down when it happens, how fast you are going, time of day, etc. as it will greatly assist your BMW mechanic in getting to the root of the problem.
None of these things are difficult to do. Remember, I dont have your car on a daily basis, you do. Staying on top of these simple things will decrease the amount you spend on service per year, prevent avoidable damage to your BMW, and retain as much of the cars value as possible when you decide to sell.
nadia wrote:

While I could bicker about a few things, those are actually some good points.
A bet a lot of people don't know about the need to run the A/C periodically...
dizzy wrote:

Hi, New guy here. Just bought my first BMW, a 2000 528i. I'll surely have lots of questions about this new breed for me.
For now, does the BMW defroster run the A/C compressor, like most every other car I've tinkered with over the last 40 years or so..?
If so, this would qualify as running the A/C periodically.
Clay

Probably, but it is in the hand book.

On E23 and E32 it did, but on E38 you need to put it on as well.
Not sure about 5 series so you will need to check, but my guess is on a 2000 it won't automatically.
It makes a HUGE difference to demisting, but once you have you can switch to normal with the AC on.

Yes, but note that IIRC the AC does not actually run below 2.5C (might be -2.5C).

"clay" wrote in message
Hi, New guy here. Just bought my first BMW, a 2000 528i. I'll surely have lots of questions about this new breed for me.
For now, does the BMW defroster run the A/C compressor, like most every other car I've tinkered with over the last 40 years or so..?
If so, this would qualify as running the A/C periodically.
Clay
I suspect not as my '99 E46 did not. But it's easy to check as the A/C (snowflake) button will light up when the compressor is called for. Also, my '99 would always default to system on with minimum fan speed when the car was turned on after having being shut down with the system off - providing the driver with an unwelcome blast of stale air. Hopefully, your 528i does not have this "feature" which was later corrected on the E46.
The newer BMWs all automatically turn the compressor on when either "Auto" or "Defrost" is selected.
Tom

Older BMW's (1980's) used to switch on the AC (and recicrulation) when defrost was selected, but NOT when "auto" was selected - you could choose whether to have the AC running as well. It uses more juice and ups the idle speed by about 200rpm.
Intermediate BMW's (~2000) did not switch on the AC (or recirc') when defrost was selected, OTOH they remember this setting from the last run, although as the writer says they come on in auto if they were last off*.
If you are right then this user convenience feature has been reinstated on newer BMW's..
* this is a safety feature. On one of my E23's I was once following a sludge truck or similar coming out of London and switched to recirculation. 100 miles later I am falling asleep on the M1, when I notice that I have forgotten to switch it off. I do so and within a couple of minutes feel right as rain again. So the AC will not stay in a default condition of recirc' on.
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

Older BMW's (1980's) used to switch on the AC (and recicrulation) when defrost was selected, but NOT when "auto" was selected - you could choose whether to have the AC running as well. It uses more juice and ups the idle speed by about 200rpm.
Intermediate BMW's (~2000) did not switch on the AC (or recirc') when defrost was selected, OTOH they remember this setting from the last run, although as the writer says they come on in auto if they were last off*.
If you are right then this user convenience feature has been reinstated on newer BMW's.. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I rarely use the Defrost setting, I just checked it out on my '07 E91. And while I was correct that selecting "Auto" turns the A/C on (unless ambient is below freezing, IIRC), "Defrost" reverts back to whatever the previous A/C setting was - even if the whole system was first turned off by setting the fan speed to zero. So as you suspected, there has not been a change for "Defrost" from the E46.
It would have been nice to have some programmability as I would normally not turn the A/C on when heating the car, so there is now an extra button push. Ah well, the things we Bimmer drivers put up with:)
Tom

SNIP
Indeed, but if you want to demist it is a LOT faster with the AC on.

Such hard work to drive and with separate controls for each side that doubles the workload...

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

Since I find I use defrosting more than demisting, I'd program the (Auto) A/C to be off during the winter and on during the summer. This would seriously reduce my button pushing!

Actually, I believe the recent 3 & 1 series now allow both temps to be set from the drivers side control. I can only dream of all the things I could do with the free time I'd gain if I had one of these models...
Tom
Tom K. wrote:

Ha. I hadn't thought of that.

Seems like a mandatory feature, to me.

They are in the central console on 7 series, but both reachable by the driver.
I have my side set to 19C and the passenger's to 20C.
Tom K. wrote:

I seem to recall getting blasted when I first got it. It was a bit annoying. Tinkering with the settings, snowflake off, maybe, or the fan turned way down, haven't noticed the fan revving up lately.
Tom K. wrote:

Funny, my 2000 E46 works the opposite, for both cases - AC comes-on with defrost, and last fan-speed setting is used on start-up.
AC does not come-on with pressing Auto, however.
"dizzy" wrote in message
Tom K. wrote:

Funny, my 2000 E46 works the opposite, for both cases - AC comes-on with defrost, and last fan-speed setting is used on start-up. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 1999 would do the same - EXCEPT that if the system was turned off (by setting the fan speed to zero) prior to shutdown, when next started it would come on at minimum fan speed , thus the stale air - well, maybe not quite a "blast", but annoying, nonetheless.
As I recall, this was soon corrected by BMW, apparently by the next year from what you are saying.
Tom
Tom K. wrote:

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/general-information/9481-car-key-memory-configuration-information.html
--
JRE

JRE wrote:

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/general-information/9481-car-key-memory-configuration-information.html

Thanks for that link. So begins my quest to configure some of the /helpful/ automatic functions of my car.

Agree.One thing not mentioned is changing fluids.
- Brake fluid should be flushed every year or two; - coolant every two years. - If you have a manual transmission, change the fluid every 30,000 miles with a good synthetic like Redline MTL or similar offering from Royal Purple and Amsoil. It will make shifting ALOT smoother, especially when cold and keep that tranny running! - Similarly, change the differential fluid with a good synthetic every 30K and it took will make a different.
- Automatic trans - yeah, today's car have "lifetime fluid," you may want to talk with your mechanic about changing it.
As for engine oil, that's a whole religion in itself. Good Luck!
always travel with the Boot (trunk lid) of the car in the fully closed and securely latched position.
never, never, never drive a BMW with trunk lid (boot) open or in a tied down or bungied configuration of your design.
also ...
go to Quickie Oil Change shops .. where you wait in the car for the oil to be swapped out and the computer updated.
when you have to leave your used (out of warrenty) BMW in to a car shop over night .. then it gets problems like oil leaks and such.
This is more so with BMW Corporate Shops like Hansel Motors in California .. they are bad with their used car customers.
The State Bureau of Auto Repairs knows about them and protects them as they makes a lot of sales taxes.
however ... CSAA ( California State Automobile Association) will NOT list BMW Corporation as the place to take your BMW for repairs.
CSAA is the biggest Auto Insurance group in California with the most members.
sumbuddie wear blind sea