10W-60 oil availability

Page 1 of 2
My son has a new M Series BMW and is in Germany. The dealer charged him 240 Euro for the oil during the oil change. I need to know if there is any other source for the oil at a cheaper price. In Fl. a
dealer charged us $130 for 12 Qt case which he took back to Germany after Thanksgiving holidays. Castrol website doesn't even mention it except on their UK pages. There they refer to it as CASTROL EDGE 10W-60 Oil. I read also BMW may be using Mobil Synthetic as a replacement in the future but no word from BMW yet. Anyone useing this or similar oil? Any ideas where to get it? Thanks

I don't know about Germany, but in the USA the scheduled oil changes are free for 4 years with the E60 M5. In fact, they are free for all new BMW cars.
The E60 M5 uses some oil though ... as much as a liter per 1000 miles during the break in period. Again, here in the USA, the dealers give you a couple of liter bottles at a time (free) if you ask for it. Is the BMW policy different in Germany? I've looked for it (Castrol 10w-60) but nobody carries it other than the dealerships.
Eisboch
RCE wrote:

Hahaha. Yes only in the states do you get things like that and extended warranties on bad engines etc. I Europe I believe the norm is 1 year warranty with no service plan and if anythuign goes wrong during the warranty BMW will likely contest that it's "a feature" not a failure.
Castrol edge or edge sport can be got in 10w60 but I don't know what the differences are. Some places sell them (in the UK at least) in 25 litre barrels.

I think I remember that here in the USA, engines .... car, trucks, boats, etc. ... must be capable of using any oil that meets the recommended service requirements. If the manufacturer specifies a non-standard or specific type of oil, they must provide it for free, by law.

Love to see a cite for that as I don't believe it is correct. I believe the original was that if they require you to get the product only from them (i.e. a matching product isn't available elsewhere). Doesn't mean they can't require 10-60 but 10-30 MUST work.
Also think it is an urban legend.

I should be more clear. If a manufacturer requires a specific, OEM brand oil only, then they must supply it. Otherwise, the vehicle must be able to use any brand that meets the technical specifications of the OEM brand. The owner's manual of the E60 M5 (V10) specifically states that the 10-60 Castrol oil is required, although 10-40 may be temporarily substituted if oil is required and the 10-60 is not available. BMW supplies Castrol 10-60 synthetic free (name branded as BMW oil) because it is currently not available anywhere else.
RCE wrote:

Exactly where is the dealer providing the TWS oil for free? I want to get some..
And Turner Motorsports and a number of other secondary market sources (not BMW) will happily sell you Castrol TWS, so BMW is not the only supplier.
I think you were trying to be too clear.
To the other poster - everyone except (apparently) RCE in the US who has an M5 or M3 requiring the Castrol TWX 10W-60 oil is paying for it.

Look ... not looking for an argument, but facts are facts. Anytime I needed oil for either of the two E-60 M5's that I had, I simply drove to the dealer, told them I needed some oil and they handed me a couple of liter bottles. Other M5 owners across the country have reported the same.
Sorry if you have to pay for it.
RCE

Can you please share your dealer's name?

Sure. Norwell BMW Gallery.
http://www.bmwgallerynorwell.com /
But also true for most BMW dealerships, from talking to other M5 owners across the USA.
RCE
RCE wrote:

This is while you're still under factory fully paid maintenance? Sure - then they'll give it to you since they can bill BMW-NA for it. Once you're out of maintenance you'll be paying with your dime.

You may be correct. I don't know. I do know that it became a small issue because of the high oil consumption of the V-10 in the E60 M5, particularly during the break-in period.
RCE

Your M5's include 50,000 miles of free maintenance. The oil is part of that. You might discover that once one of the cars goes over 50K, your dealer will begin charging for the stuff.
R / John
Sorry to have started a p*ssing contest here....although it seems too easy to do. It seems some of you are stating the oil is supplied as part of the "normal" maintainence. So BMW NA is saying "if the car uses oil we will supply it" That is great, but do you have to BUY the oil used to replace the drained oil when "normal maintainence oil changes" are performed? As I noted in the initial question, my son was "charged" 240 Euro for the oil needed to "perform the 10,000 mile service" on his 2006 M3. The dealer in Germany did ask if he had "brought his own" oil as their prices were very high. Since he had no prior warning he had not brought oil with him. So while home for the Thanksgiving holiday he purchased 12 Qts from a dealer in West Palm beach FL. That dealer never mention the oil could be free under certain circumstances. What is the German warrentee differences? Is the BMW NA service warrentee better than in Europe? This has been a eye-opener about the service differences, Thanks.

The oil is included in the free service in the US

How many miles on these cars? Country?
R / John

Magnuson-Moss act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge.
RCE

That's many people's theory, but the actual wording of the act does not state that.
Tom Scales wrote:

You're correct. For those covered by US Federal law, here's more detail: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm
Ed

Certainly with the "Free" maintenance, any oil that needed to be added would be part of the plan. As to a law? Hogwash!
R / John