1974 bmw 2002 w/o a/c system

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1974 bmw 2002 for about $1200. There is a little rust around the right rear wheel well but based on what I've read that is something which I should expect, and is a minor
problem that can be easily remedied. My major concerns are the fact that I intend to use this car as my major source of transportation: I live in New York City, the Bronx; and need to travel to Maryland, Georgia and South Carolina a couple of times a year; and the car doesn't have A/C. As you are aware tempetures have been very extreme lately, and will in all likihood will only get worst. Therefore the lack of A/C is a primary concern, especially since I have a girlfriend who can't stand the heat- getting a new one is not an option. I've been told that I can purchase a complete system for about $350. Considering all my needs is the car worth it? Please advice.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

you should visit http://www.bmw2002faq.com /
and let folk there have a look at pics of the car etc.
As for AC you can find used AC systems, but its probably more trouble to get them working than buying a new one. Depends on how much work you want to do yourself and if you know a black market freon dealer. A lot of used 2002s have AC -- one of the cars I bought had it -- but it didn't work, but all the pullies and parts were there. I don't live where it gets hot so I didn't worry about it. The AC center consol is different too, so you'll have to consider how you'll vent the air in and how you'll control the unit. Again, you can find stock AC center consols around if you look hard enough.
If you plan to drive that 74 in the winter don't expect it to last very long on the salted roads.. it just eats them up.
best of luck!
-z