1981 BMW 320is won't start

Stupid me. I had to work offsite at another facillity for my job and accidently left the sunroof open on my car for about two weeks. It never rains in Texas with the exception of this time period I was
gone. The interior is pretty much dry, but the start won't start. It's stone dead. Nothing happens when you turn the key, not lights turn on - not even the digital clock. I fully charged the battery. The postive battery cable was a little corrided, so I replaced that today with a new one. That didn't do anything to fix the problem. Is it possible for some sort of electrical short to occur inside the car that would cause this to happen? I'm out of ideas here. Thanks!
Just to clarify a bit, the sunroof was open all the way. It wasn't just flipped open.

JoshIII responds: I have a 1980 320i, so there probably not alot of difference electrically.
I would take off the cardboard panel that covers the steering column, and using a volt meter, see if the steering column and ignition switch is getting voltage, i.e. 12 volts. I think its easy to remove part of the plastic cover to the steering column itself.
If not check all your fuses that are in the covered box next to the battery. You have to twist all of the fuses that are in their sockets to make sure they making good connections.
There might be a terminal block in the area of the steering column that needs cleaning and tightening also.
JoshIII Not UK

Do the lights work - or other things that don't need the ignition switched on? If so I'd first look at the ignition switch itself - it's possible water has got into it.
--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

The lights do not work. Absolutely nothing does. I did have the plastic piece that goes around the whole bottom of the steering column off though. It's been off for a long time. I had to see if I could get a key code off the lock so I could get a replacement key from BMW and didn't screw it back on yet.

Assuming the battery and connections are ok about the only thing left is the fusible link in the main cable.
--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Sounds like the battery is dead. Did it hold the charge that you gave it?
How much current is escaping the battery with all systems turned off?
Jim

dono whats up with that, but it might be worth while to run a hair dryer and hit all the various connections in the dash -- ignition switch, and anywhere else that might ahve got wet

What part of Texas? Texas is a big place and has quite varied climates. Here is North Texas, we are in line for a near record rainfall for June. Jim
I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, within a few miles of DFW airport. It has been raining here so much as of late. I think it's rained everyday for at least a week, and I'm talking about heavy rain too.