1981 E21

I have a 1981 320is with the 1.8L M10. In 1980, BMW destroked this engine from a 2.0L to a 1.8L. The engine in my car is going to need a rebuild and I was wondering how involved it would be to stroke the
engine back up to a 2.0L? Is it just a matter of changing the crankshaft and rods, or is it more involved than that? I figured I have an opportunity to do this since the engine needs a rebuild anyways. I've tried searching on the internet about this and came up empty handed. Thanks.

They probably shaved a couple of mm off the block as well, so I doubt your experiment will work. OTOH if you need to rebore the block (and it can take it) then you gain a few cc anyway.
Not sure if the engine you are talking about is the 4 or 6 cylinder. If the four, I would sell / scrap the car and buy a ~1984 320i, whose straight six was a sweet as a nut.
It's a 4-cylinder.
list might help you even though it's a bit OT for them. But they're nice guys too and very knowledgeble.
-Russ.
A 320 should have a 2.0, otherwise you have a 318i.
320i has a 1.8 liter here in the US.They did have a 2.0 liter but was changed in 1980 to 1.8 but retained the 320i badges.The 1.8 liter is smoother and more economical than the 2.0 liter.The only E21 variant to make it to the US was the 320i,but in europe they have 315,316,318,318i,320,320i,320 with 6 cylinder,and 323i with 6 cylinder.
Yes, that's correct. I probably should have clarified that I live in the US. It is definitely a 320is with a 1.8L engine.
What level of performance are you tring to achieve? You stated a rebuild is coming up but do you want moderate power increase or pucker up your butthole performance?Either way,let us know!
At the moment, I was just looking for a moderate power increase. Stroking the engine back up to 2.0L seemed to be a good idea to me for a start. I just don't know how involved it would be. I have other issues in the car that I need to have repaired as well. As it stands, the car won't pass emissions right now. The BMW dealer I went to suspected that the car might have been overheated at some point in time prior to my ownership. It's an '81 and only has 81,000 miles on it. I think the car might have been sitting idle in someone's garage for a very long time. The car is very clean, inside and out, to have been sitting outside for an extended period of time.