1983 533i Clutch Pedal / Brake Light

I need some help, please. My '83 533i (166k) runs really well. Just had it tuned, replaced brake pads and rotors as they were in tough shape. Had all fluids checked and changed.

Three issues that I can't seem to resolve: (1) Brake light comes on even though the brakes were checked and brand new. Fluid level is fine and as stated, brakes and rotors are new.

(2) Oil light comes on and "pyramid" light on dash is steady. I think the oil light triggers this triangular warning light - so probably same issue. There are five quarts of new oil in car. Mechanic suggested it could be bad switch located under oil pan.?

(3) Most troubling ... the clutch pedal "sticks" to the floor on occasion. If I lift it back up, it is fine until the next time it sticks to floor. I asked mechanic to "bleed" the clutch, but he told me that the bleed valve was pretty well gunked up with rust and would need to be tapped. His instructions were that there was plenty of hydraulic pressure in the line such that the pedal should not be sticking. It still is, however, even after complete check and change of fluids.

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Iggy10

wrote

The brake and clutch share a common resevoir IIRC. Probably one problem causing two problems. My opinion, replace the clutch slave cylinder - it's cheap and easy - and bleed the clutch. If that doesn't fix it, the clutch master cylinder can be rebuilt or replaced.

Sounds like the oil pressure sending unit is toast - they're cheap but I can't remember where it is left side under the intake manifold is what I seem to remember.

Does that year have brake wear sensors? If they weren't replaced with the rotors you need to do so - the person who did them should have replace them. If not, have him do it - for free.

Floyd

Reply to
Floyd Rogers