1985 bmw 325e

I have an 85 325e, when accelerating the car seems to accelerate sluggishly. I push the pedal all the way to the floor and some times it will accelerate ok.
I thought maybe gas. I changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs. No change. I'm thinking now I need a manual to try and figure out the problem.
Help, I hope the motors not gone. It's strong when it is running, but now it seems to have no power sometimes.

Fuel pump(s) ?
Richard why would you say fuel pumps, wouldn't the car not start or just die out?

That's one failure mode but one pump can be dead and the other marginal and *can* produce symptoms exacly like this. The fact that it works normally some of the time is what gives me the idea that this could be it.
Worth checking at any rate.
ditto

Do you know where both pumps are?, I know theres on in the rear of the car.
Also driving it today, the muffler seems clogged or something, as if the pressure is being restricted. Could it be the muffler?
Richard Sexton wrote:

I know where they are on my car but it's not the same as yours. Or maybe it is, I don't know.

Could be a clogged cat. But that probably won't give you those symptoms as it's a steady state not intermittant failure. That is if it's clogged it's always clogged, not clogged one moment and free the next.
You should be able to *hear* both pumps working at least you can on my car. Silence, in this case, is *not* golden.

Cheers, Bob
That would be my car. The rotor was almost completely gone, the posts inside the cap were all bent out of place...

I'd try a new rotor arm and check the distributor cap. When they're badly worn I've seen this fault.
Thanks, I'll try it and let you know. John Burns wrote:

It's not the cap and rotor, what's next. Maybe the throttle position sensor? Is it pressure in the water system (radiator) the hoses are tight, I checked the thermostat and there's none there.
I have no Idea what's next. Runs pretty good on the freeway, then when I exit and start coming up the hill, seems to loose power, could it be the injectors? John Burns wrote: