1986 E30 M20 325i - Timing Belt Slipped??

My baby backfired and stopped working last week. I lost the spark to the plugs. To cut a long story short, after testing the coil and engine sensors, etc, i finally traced the fault to the
ECU. Replaced that with a reconditioned unit and although i now have a spark, the car still won't start. There's plenty of fuel and it's smelling strong at the exhaust after cranking the engine.
It sometimes fires a couple of times but it's not enough to actually run. It seems as though the timing is off. Is there an easy way of checking if the belt has slipped without going through the replacement procedure? Can i use the TDC sensor and check valve positions or something like that?
Also, how important is the Idle Air Control Valve? Its humming like a good 'un but i think the flap may be sticking. Would that cause my symptoms I'm gonna clean it out tomorrow when daylight comes.
Thanks in advance...
---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ----------------------------------------------
Check cap and rotor yet? Belt doesn't slip to the best of my knowledge, breaks but not slips...