1987 BMW 325 engine problem.. ??

Hey everyone!
I probably have a very simple problem to have fixed.. but here goes...
I have a 1987 BMW 325... I was driving on the highway (in vegas... stop
and go... UGH) and noticed that when the RPM gauge is between about 1 and 2 that the engine starts to give me some crap.. it almost feels like when you miss-shift and the RPMs are too low, and the car jolts... (easiest way to explain it)...
ANYWAY.. i brought the car to AutoZone and the manager there said it was probably an ignition problem.. so we figured to start with the spark plugs... which didn't help... then today i went and bought the distributor cap and rotor and installed them... still no help!...
WHAT'S WRONG?? haha..
OH.. one other thing.. when the car is on idle, you can definately hear a "miss" in the engine...
any help would be AWESOME!! thanks again! snipped-for-privacy@techyeeks.com or reply to this string!
Have you checked the throttle position switch sensor?

u mean to see what the idle speed is?? cuz, that is fine... (i have the BMW repair manual.. and the only thing that comes close to that name is the throttle valve switch) ??
still need some help... please!! :)
I have had similiar issues on the different 325's in the 87-89 range. One was cap and rotor and the other was the timing reference sensor. Hard to track down the second but if the wires are seem a little loose going into the back of the sensor, it may be time to change it...
On 29 Mar 2006 17:48:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

actually after really trying to figure out the problem.. i'm finding that it has an engine miss.. which is one thing, and it seems like the manual transmission is what the major problem is... when i rev the engine at stand still.. it's totally ok.. u hear the miss, but no problems... when you are actually driving it.. it makes a funny noise when you shift and i'm noticing more that the car shudders when i'm speeding up, and now it's almost in any gear...
i've never really came across this before... and never worked on a manual transmission either.. i think i'm right on this, BUT does anyone have a suggestion on what i could do to fix this easily...? or why the transmission is doing this??
thanks again!! Kris
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Bad driveshaft centre bearing?
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:10:48 +0100, John Burns

Check the flex disc (guibo) as well as the center bearing. Just went through this on my son's car. The transmission is most likely not even close to the root of the problem. Could be clutch though but without actually feeling the way it drives that would be a hard one to diagnose. I did mention the reference sensor and I'm aware that some cars have two sensors like this one the bellhousing, if your's does, this could be the problem.
actually i think you're right about the drive shaft.. i took it out again today and took it ouf of gear while i was driving it.. the noise completely stopped and it quit jolting... FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE D*** problem!! haha
i'll take a look at my manual to see what i'd need to do to fix it myself... i'm assuming it's not that difficult???
kris