1989 325 Tires

My 1989 325i uses 195/65 HR14 tires. After the original I've always used Michelin tires. I now find out Michelin no longer makes a 195/65. What is
a recommended Michelin tire for my car? 195/60 OK?
Thanks.

Tire Rack lists 4 H rated tires in your size made by Goodrich, Dunlop, Sumitomo and Yokohama. Going to a smaller size is probably not a good idea.
http://www.tirerack.com /
Tom K.

How about 205/60?
Pete

Agreed, that's what I used to run on 14s.

Hi! I used to have the same car (1987 model) and I saw a similar car with 195/70 and I read that 205/60 are ok as well. By the way, www.Reifendirekt.ch lists 12 summer tires in the size 195/65-14.
Hope this helps
--
Giovanni Tarantino - Switzerland
2001 Audi A4 3.0 Q 183,000 km (113,000 miles)

My wife's Saab has MXV4s as original equipment and, frankly the performance is only average and the price is pretty high. Is there a reason not to consider the Goodrich, Dunlop, Sumitomo or Yokohama tires which are available in your 195/65 14 size?
Tom K.
After running around ragged looking for the MXV4s in possible recent old stock, and also for Dunlop, I went for the Yokohama Avid H4s. Several people here said they are good (and I also looked for comments via Google). Hope I'll be happy.
John

Glad you found a suitable tire - let us know how you like it.
Tom K.
John Jensen wrote:

They are not the stickiest tires, but they wear quite well, and are decent in the wet and light snow.
--
-Fred W

"John Jensen" wrote

Good choice. I put them on the company Sentra in size 195/60/15. Granted, it's not a max perf. summer tire, but the dry and wet grip were pretty good, and so was comfort. Noticeable improvement compared to the OEM Bridgestone RE92.
Cheers, Pete

Well, that's 3/4 inch on the diameter, or about 3/8 inch on radius. Or, about 10 mm on radius.
The new tire is larger than the old tire, but the difference should be negligible. The speedo will be slower than you are accustomed to, but the change should just about make it dead-nuts accurate. The trouble -- if there is any -- will be that the speedo will read 70 when you are really doing 75 (give or take). A "normal" speedo will read 70 when the actual speed is more like 67. Larger tires will SLOW the speedo so the indicated speed and the actual speed become the same, OR the actual speed is faster than the indicated speed. (If the actual speed is faster than indicated, you need to know so you can adjust your behavior. You can determine this easily with a stopwatch and a measured mile OR with a GPS unit.)
The 205/60x14 is a direct replacement.

Michelin are over priced, and I have never liked them for handling.
FWIW, I don't like Continental or Pirelli for handling either, despite Pirelli PZeros being used on super cars. I would look at Goodyear or Bridgestone myself.

"Jeremy" wrote

Why do people insist on generalizing like this? Each of these manufacturers produces a multitude of tires, and within that range there are some crappy tires and there are some good ones. The Pilot Sport and the PS2 from Michelin are actually quite decent.
Cheers, Pete
Pete wrote:

Yes, but are the "over-priced"? I would have to say so...
However, I'm not such a big fan of Goodyears in general. Bridgestone, Yokohama, BF Goodrich, some Dunlops are good, IMO.
--
-Fred W

Fred W" wrote

Looking at tires from the top shelf (max perf. or extreme perf. category) on TireRack.com - the Michelins are within the ballpark of other brand name tires.
That said, personally I'm not a huge fan of Michelin either. :)
Pete