1990 325i Starting Problem

Last night I took my car out for a short run - about a mile. All was fine. About an hour later I went to start it. It fired up as usual, but the engine
started hunting badly, from between about 500 - 1500 revs. It also was blowing a bit of soot from the exhausts, and there was a strong smell of unburnt petrol in the exhaust. I tried switching off & on a few times, but same thing each time.
I went inside & had a think. About a year ago, I filled up with fuel after a long run (Shell Optimax as always), and on the trip home from the fuel station the engine died several times. I was wondering if I'd overfilled the tank or maybe filled a breather or similar. The problem however did not persist.
I had recently filled up (to the brim) and this was the first run since filling. I went out and undid the petrol cap, just to see if it sucked in any air, but appeared not to. I tried starting up again, and it ran perfectly. Any ideas what the problem may be? Mine is a pre-catalyst btw.
Thanks
Richard
[...]
------ Idle control valve is dirty. Remove valve, shoot in some WD-40 or brake cleaner and slosh around. Empty it and dry it out. Swirl in a rag to get some left over gunk out, if any. Reinstall and crank it up. It should run better and not hunt at idle.
Bill in Omaha 86 535i
Is it just me or was this EXACT same message posted a few days ago? Is it a usenet hiccup or do we just have quite a few people that don't like the answer they get the first time through and figure they'll try again? This isn't the only message I've spotted today but it seems to be only this newsgroup...
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:16:36 GMT, "Richard Hawkins"

AFAIK, it's just you. There was another 325 wouldn't start problem back on July 21, but it's different.
FloydR