1990 BMW 735i Rubbing Noise When Slowing Down

I have a 1990 735i. When I slow down, I hear/feel a rubbing noise that travels up the steering column. Also, when turning, the car makes the same rubbing noise. This only happens when I slow down. Any idea what it could be? CV joints? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jon

No CV's in a 735i AFAIK.

Wheel / tyre too large or loose mud flap rubbing on tyre perhaps?

Worn wheel bearings?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Might also be something caught up in the brakes. You need to pull the wheel and take a look.

Reply to
Rex B

I would not associate CV joints with a rubbing in the steering wheel of yoru

7 Series. One, CV joints are on front wheel drive cars, you have rear wheel drive.

You describe a worn wheel bearing, sorta. That's where I start my search. I'd be sure to check the brakes along the way because that is what I think your real problem is.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks. I took the car out again yesterday. The problem really seems to be when the card idles (and when I slow down to an idle). A noise is heard when it idles, but when I step on the gas, it goes away. If I shift it into neutral and apply the gas, the noise goies away.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Jon

It's not road speed related - look for loose belts, anything loose around the engine etc.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton