1991 735il won't engage in reverse

The auto tran on my '91 735il will not engage in reverse but it will engage and shift in all other gears. It has 143k miles. Any ideas? Also, I have heard different opinions on going w/ a rebuilt tranny or a used one if I need to replace it. Used ones w/ low mileage are extremely hard to find plus I don't know the history so I'm leary. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
jbravo_735il

Sounds like a dead rear brake band - shouldn't be too expensive to REPAIR but a rebuilt will be dearer

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

Depends what you mean by not too expensive. The parts might be cheap but the labour more or less the same as a complete overhaul - which is why you don't usually just repair a box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends whether you feel confident enough to strip an auto box. I have done many Borg-Warner 35 & DG, Ford (C4 & C6) and one or two GM boxes (400) Oh yes and the Chrysler Torqueflight but never a ZF

Find a wrecking yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg