1991 E34 M30 Transmission

I just recently bought this used car and it has a switch to change from automatic to manual. I don't have any experience with this. What is this, and how do I switch gears when in manual?

Move the lever fore and aft?

Yes, the lever moves fore and aft, along the axis of the vehicle from the front to the rear. The computer indicates which tranny is active after switching the lever by showing a "M" for manual or "A" for automatic.
A- Economy Program Once the car has been started, this program is automatically selected for low fuel consumption motoring. (This mode is selected on every start up of the engine, it is the default mode of transmission operation.)
M- Manual Program This program is for single gear driving. The gear selected is used for pulling away. For example, if a particular gear is selected, that is the gear that will be used, no up shifting or down shifting will occur. On an icy road, one might select 3 and M, and the car will start out in 3rd gear with no gear changes. This can eliminate wheel spin.

Read the owners handbook.

"There's a fold-down clutch pedal under the dash which, when pulled down, engages the clutch between the engine and auto trans. Thus allowing the driver to manually shift gears in an automatic-equipped BMW." - BMWs for Dummies
Yeah, right....
You Know Who STILL laughing in Omaha

What the freak? I still don't get it.

The Manual setting on the Auto trans console lets you use the auto shifter to do it yourself by putting the lever to the gear you want at the time (shift up or down yourself). It will allow the trans to hold a gear or rev higher before shifting. There is no clutch pedal. Hey, who wrote that, anyway?

And you forgot to mention the swappable steering wheel and dash assembly for driving on the left hand side of the road - Handy if going to UK or Jamaica/Bermuda