1992 325i, mid 90's 525i

been looking around for a used 5 series, e34 touring wagon, well maintained, but not much luck in my neck of the woods (DC/MD/VA). During my searches I have come across some other 'deals':

1992 325i, auto, 63k miles, one owner, local trade in at a Honda dealer, asking $6000 USD, clean car fax. The only negative thing I could find on this board about this car is the plastic water pump and to get it replaced.

Then am coming across from mid 90's (1994/95) 525i's with about 100k to 120k miles or so, in the $7000 to $8000 range, clean carfaxes, some

2 owners, others 1 owner. I could probably talk them down to the $6000 range.

I'm driving a '03 325ci now and looking for a second back-up car/ winter car. Any thoughts about the above two 'deals'?

Reply to
sportrider90

That's an early E36 325i? They're generally considered to be inferior to the slightly updated 93 on and that should be reflected in the price, which it isn't by the looks of it. Mid 90s 5 series should be cheap as chips. Be aware that the older ones might not come with traction control etc if you're concerned about that. But it all varies depending on the country of market.

Reply to
adder1969

wrote

"Deals" is putting it politely. The asking prices are far far too much. Our '91 525i is worth only $2000-$2500. I wouldn't pay much more than $5000 for a '94/'95.

My brother bought a cherry '94 325is 4 years ago for $6000. The '92 is worth less. In addition, '92 was the first year (if it's a 4-door) of the E36, and they had many problems.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

ok, I'll skip the '92 325i then....I'll keep looking for a touring wagon or check out some of the 94/95's 525i ....

well for private party, perhaps $5000 would be the ideal price but if you are buying it from an independent dealer, they will always tack on an additional couple thousand to make a reasonable profit....I'll look for private party than scour the indie dealers and try to talk them down to about the $5000 mark...

Reply to
sportrider90

Theres a load of mid 90's E34 tourings in the UK, i have one, done 10k in less than a year in 2x 3k trips around europe. I bought it for your $1200 with FSH but 260,000 miles. its been fine for me.

Only thing now is, its got a lumpy tick over and stalls sometimes before i pop it into A unless i give it a bit of gas....trouble is for 20 years i had really old simple 70's cars ,its how i like em....im not used to all these electronics and computer things on cars, even on a 15 year old car..

Mine is thirty around town, but on a long run steady its good, even doing

130mph laiden in Germany...just a shame it doesnt handle well or look as good as my salloon, hence its going.

As you say water pump...but im new to BMW's, less than a year, i had a 520 fail with a water pump, this one has been fine (so im guessings its been replaced) as my first went at 160k with the water pump, and i have just bought a nice black salloon 525 for eq of $600 that i suspect needs it changing as it overheats, that has got 170k on the clock.

Heard the ones with self leveling susp can cause problems...not sure how, but mine has SLS.

Ok these cars are great for long runs, i can do a thousand miles in a day and not feel too tired.

I had to go from my 77GT Celica, the baby mustang cos of my bad back, but i could open a bonnet on those and not get lost....

Reply to
Jules