1992 525i Environment Control

I have two problems with my 1992 525i. The defroster control doesn't seem to work, I pulled the environmental control out and I can see where the cable connects but when I manually tried to move it, it seems the cable is
stuck under the dash somewhere. What would be the procedure to fix the defroster control? I imagine the cable would have to be replaced...is this difficult or expensive?
Finally I notice that when I turn the temp guage to warm after awhile I turn it back to cold but the two main vents above the radio still put out warm air even the though the other vents are blowing cold. What might be causing this? Is my environmental control unit going out? Thanks!

Doesn't this top vent have a central control to set the temperature? Most do - so you can set what you like blowing on your face independant of the interior temp.
--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?