1992 e32 735i -- Metal shavings in the Fuel tank.

I replaced my fuel sender unit today -- while I had the fuel pump out -- I noticed that there was metal shavings underneath the fuel pump.
is this a sign my fuel pump is on it's way out? The shavings are ONLY in the
sump where the fuel pump is -- no where else. The screen on the bottom of the fuel pump was clean.
Thanks -j
I think so. Although my experience is not with the same car. Last year when the fuel pump of my 94 SAAB 9000 went kaput, I noticed bright metal shavings in the basket (lacking a better term to describe it) outside of the pump too after removal from the fuel tank.
Thanks.
I'll order one up & try to figure out how to drain the tank so I can clean up all the shavings...

John,
The shavings are more likely left over from manufacturing or from a mischievous person. It would stand to reason that the shavings would eventually be drawn to the suction end of the pump by vibrations and currents. And really, you answered your own question when you mentioned the screen on the pump; how could it be from the pump if it is screened? Those shavings , if they were to originate from the pump, they would be found in the fuel filter.
Just get a good magnetic tool and extract the little buggers.
Cheers, B.D.

Thanks Brad.. That's a good observation.

Dunno why I didn't think of that! Probably becuase I assumed it was aluminum since the pumpt seems to be made of that.
Thanks -josh

Are the pump's moving parts sealed inside an enclosure? If so, then the only way shavings could get out from inside housing would be through the screen, which is probably too fine for them to get through. In this case, they were either there from the day the tank was made, or they came in with the fuel. -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

It's odd that the only place I saw the shavings was right in the bucket (or whatever it's called) that the pump sits in...
I hadn't considered fuel being the source tho. Thanks. -j