1994 - 318i Will not Start?

Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 10:52 AM Subject: BMW

I tried to start my 1994 318i this morning and she > turns over fine but does not start. I checked the fuel > pump by taking out back seat and observing fuel come > out of the pump when I cranked the car. It is pumping > fine. I checked the spark by removing one plug and > cranking... plenty of spark. I'm fairly new to BMWs... > I always thought if you had fuel and fire then you had > ignition. It seems I have both but no start. Tries to > fire every now and then with extended cranking, but no > go. I also sprayed some GUNK Quick Starting Fluid > directly into the throttle body and again, no luck. > The only thing I can think may be a clogged fuel > filter as it is further down the line than the fuel > pump, but spraying the GUNK into the throttle body > should give me a temporary start... which it doesn't. > ECM? I have no idea and any help would be appreciated. > > -------------------------------------------------- > > Be absolutely sure your battery is fully charged. BMW > is very sensitive to this. Crankshaft position sensor > failure will cause this too. > Did you pull any coded to see what they say? > The 5 pedal pump methid should get you info on the > codes > > -------------------------------------------------- > Hi fun2drive, > Thanks for the response on bimmerfest. I have been > reading up on the Crankshaft Position Sensor and from > what I am reading it seems I should have no spark if > this has failed. When I pulled a plug and cranked the > engine, I did observe a spark at the spark plug. Would > this indicate that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is > ok? > > Thanks for any advice, > Dave > ------------------------------------------------------- > Dave: > Your car cranks and you have spark and fuel so I am > puzzled because that indicates everything is working > ok. > > You really need to pull the codes off the car doing > the pedal pressing thing (search will tell you how to > do this) assuming your car is an OBDI car. > > I have seen things like this happen when the battery > is low even thought the car cranks it will not start. > The only things I know that will cause a failure to > start is the crank position sensor or a bad cam > position sensor but the cam position sensor usually > doesn't fail hard. > > If I understand the problem the plug is wet with fuel > the plug shows a spark but not fire. > > I would either carefully jump the car with another and > or charge the battery to full capacity then try to > start. > > I think if the dME was fired or wet you would not be > getting both of these. > > How did you verify the fuel pressure was available by > the way?
Reply to
Ralph Griffith