1994 520i SE touring

hi
looking at a friend of friend's 1994 520i SE touring on Saturday - anything I should look out for when I go to have a look?
how much should I be looking to pay in s
100k miles, 2 owners, BMW history
cheers
abc

Cooling system: has it had a new waterpump (metal impeller type)? does the viscous fan coupling work ok? Any sign of overheating? Any smell of coolant iside the car when heater is switched on or evidence of wet carpets in footwells? Gearbox: If manual box, check clutch slave cyl for leaks and ensure clutch itself is ok; If auto, check fluid colour/smell (burnt toast smell!), also ensure it shifts smoothly up and down the box. Check also condition of rubber coupling between gearbox and prop ('Guibo'). Suspension: Check front struts for oil leakage and all track control arm bushes/balljoints. Check rear subframe mounting bushes for damage (tearing); Check rear suspension for leaks **especially** if self-levelling type.(any leaks here, walk away!). Are tyres wearing evenly? Check condition of brake discs and ensure handbrake operates correctly on both wheels. Check aircon works if fitted. Check functionality of all electrics especially double sunroof (if fitted) as these can be especially troublesome. Check condition of all wiring near hinges on tailgate. Check for evidence of front wipers striking edge of bonnet. This is due to wear in bushes of drive pivots and can be quite expensive to remedy. Check for stored fault codes. This is all in addition to the usual checking of the service records and of course cosmetic condition of the car. If all is in good nick and all checks out, expect to pay 1400(average cond)-2000(mint) . cheers, JB
Thanks JB
looks like I'm going to have to get the car home for a good inspection - see what the seller thinks about that!
v. useful info as he has already said there is an intermittent fault with rear wiper - presumably wiring at tail gate
if all checks out OK is this a good family car in your opinion?
all the best
abc
JB wrote:

sorry JB
I meant to ask what you meant by "stored fault codes"
cheers
abc
JB wrote:

suspension
Nah, that's just a baby! My old E23 735 is still going strong at 721k miles!!

no problems. Please keep us posted.
Regards, JB
PS: if you do buy it, get onto Ebay and buy a set of the BMW "TIS & ETK" CDRoms. Also check out www.bmwe34.net