1994 540i engine

I just purchased a '94 540i. It has the M60 engine with the Nikasil issues. Mileage is 83,000. Seems to be running fine.
Does anyone have any experience with the Nikasil M60 at this mileage?
Should I be prepared to have it just up and die someday? Soon?
Anything that can be done to prevent/delay problems with the engine, short of replacing the engine block (which is probably more than the value of the car)? Thanks
The Nikasil problem developed as a result of fuel with a high sulfer content. Today's fuels don't ordinarily have a high fuel content. If your engine hasn't suffered the "Nikasil" damage by now, its not likely to do so. Do a Google search for Nikasil and BMW for a lot of detailed information.
LMcD

Thanks for the info. Any warning signs for this gradual onset?
wrote:
message

First signs are an uneven idle. On a V-8, more uneven than usual.
--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

I just purchased a '94 540i. It has the M60 engine with the Nikasil issues. Mileage is 83,000. Seems to be running fine.
Does anyone have any experience with the Nikasil M60 at this mileage? Should I be prepared to have it just up and die someday? Soon?
Anything that can be done to prevent/delay problems with the engine, short of replacing the engine block (which is probably more than the value of the car)? Thanks -----
All things being equal, if it has 83k miles and the cylinder compression is good across all 8, then you should be OK. I have some links or you can search Google for "nikasil BMW" and get some scoops. However, most of the problems from that time have been rectified (since it was a sulfur content in the gasoline problem).
OTOH, if there is a compression problem and you're not mechanically inclined or thick in the wallet, you may have some issues. BUT... if the car made it this far there is a good chance it is OK. I understand (along with most of this group's members) how severe the problem can be. I personally believe that some folks tended to blow the widespreadness (?) of the situation out of proportion. BMW was lacking in response, but there have been the rare case of V8s showing up with the problem after the recall/hush program was completed.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i