1994 540i transmission service

Hey, just got this car and wondering if anyone has some info about how much to expect for a transmission service (flush, fluid change, etc.). I've been told the service kit is around $110, and the fluid alone is another $204 because it's "very specialized BMW fluid." True?

Reply to
scfredericks

You don't state, but it sounds like you have an automatic transmission. If so, you may want to look into Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Redline synthetics to see whether they have something comparable to the "very specialized BMW fluid."

If you have a manual tranny, then you can use any of the above synthetic oil and cost should be about $6-10 per quart or about $20 max. Just change every 30K miles or so.

Also, don't forget to change your differential fluid while you're under there.

Good Luck!

Reply to
bfd

WARNING: There is a strong possibility that a flush will kill an UNserviced tranny... if auto. If serviced every 50k miles, no problem, but if you have 150k and it has never been touched, be careful what you do to it.

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

It depends which gearbox it is as to which special fluid is needed and whether it can be bought elsewhere. If you do a lot of googling you'll probably find the info you need. Personally I use

'cos I have an e38 but much of the stuff there may also apply to yours.

Reply to
adder1969