1994 740Il no trans

Should I buy this car and put a trans in. Where could I get one ? What should look out for in a 1994 740il ? I heard of some engines that needed to be changed due to US fuel

Reply to
jjmitro

Is someone giving you this car? No trans - means you haven't driven it so you don't know what else is wrong with it? A 12 year old BMW - especially the top model 7 series is going to be a very expensive car to maintain - much less FIX.

Since I'd guess you are on a limited budget - perhaps something like a KIA might be a better match. Inexpensive with a forever warranty.

Reply to
admin

I wrote to this group to get some info. I like the 740il looks great and has the color and options I want. I like projects. I have talented mechanic that will help. I am getting rid of my q45. SO I know all about maintance. I believe this group was designed to share info, not to bash members of the group. Now abit out the KIA, does BMW offer maintance with thier leases ? I guess that is for wanna be BMW owners who can't afford maintence. I hate people saying that they have a BMW and it is a 3 series. at least a getting a BMW is the BMW standard. The reason I am getting a project BMW is because I want to fit with the best parts I can put it. I am looking for a trick tranny to put in. One that shifts great and cruises great. I will be able to hit gas pedal and corner at the same time. Then cruise down the highway for my 500 mile drives. And about the top model BMW I thought the 750 and 850 were the top cars. You are supposed to be the admin of this group ?

does a great job. Maybe you should look there. John email me snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
jjmitro

You don't know how to spell it (maintenance.) Mebbe your talented mechanic does. I imagine he LOVES you if you hand thim this sort of project. It's pretty much an unlimited well of $$$ for him.

If you consider that a "bash" - you are very thin skinned. And Usenet "news" groups are not forums or lists and there is no "design" to them.

Also no one moderating them - so if you're thin skinned..

Your initial message sounded like it came from a clueless 16 year old who found a junker 7 series and wants to make a runner out of it. You gave no clues that you know which end of a screwdriver to use, or that anyone you know does. It still isn't clear to me that you do, but we'll continue onwards anyway 'cause it's Monday morning.

Are you going somewhere with this that makes sense? Maintenance is added to BMW's so they can SELL/LEASE them and so hopefully the leased cars they still own (when they lease them - they still own them) get at least the occasional oil change. No other real reason to do it.

A 3 series isn't a BMW? I'm confused.. you are gonna have to tell us what's a BMW or isn't a BMW. I really think that NONE of the cars are BMW's - only the motorcycles count. You have your (bizarre) standards, I have my (bizarre) standards.

Does seem rather odd that you're a model snob before even owning one.

Tell'ya what - I hate people saying they own a Rolls and it's only a Corniche. If it's not a Silver Spur it's just not a Rolls. How that?

There is no "trick tranny" - there is ONE transmission that will work with that car due to the electronics involved and that's it. There are different sources for a rebuilt - from ZF themselves to the local garage. Pay your money and take your choice. (Actually pay ALL your money and hope it works when you're done..)

Depends on what you consider "top" - I personally consider the Z8 top dog - but it's just a car. Really top model BMW is a K1200RS.

Another admission of cluelessness. Read above about newsgroups. You've just entered the wild-west part of the internet. No holds barred. If you can't take the heat..

Oh, yeah - right! I'm the admin and I just tossed you out.

Since I don't drive and never would own a Q45 I see no reason to look there. Perhaps you should keep your Q ship. Sounds like you and it are a perfect match (meant in only the very nicest way..)

Not a chance.

Reply to
admin

wrote

A '94 740 might indeed have a bad engine. Go to

see if the motor in the car you're looking at could be bad. FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Get one from a breakers. I don't think there are any trick trannies unless you go somewhere like san fransisco. Some of the 4.0 engines did go bad. I hope you get this car cheap!

Reply to
adder1969