1995 525i question

My fiance's 1995 525i died on her unexpectedly yesterday. When the key is inserted into the ignition, it just turns without any response at all. Also,
there is a warning that says there is a key in the ignition even though there isn't one. Can anyone please help me diagnose what the problem is? Thanks in advance...

Sounds like a dead ignition barrel.