1995 BMW 318i Auto transmission warning light on with no gear selection

I was driving along, and at the traffic lights, while the car is idling, felt it revved erratically. The car died at the fruit market (which I think was to do with the battery), then after starting it,
the transmission warning light came on. I can drive with it, but it drives like a scooter, it seems it is only in one gear (3rd gear maybe). Is there a relay in the fusebox for the auto transmission? Can it be that the relay went when the cars power dipped (went dead)? Where would I start with trouble shooting?

It is fixed.... Disconnected battery then reconnected battery, so that the 'default' or 'Limp home' mode is deselected. Now I can dice and drift again, HAHA

You need to find out why this happened. It may just be low volts and all you need is a long run or a new battery, or it could be more serious.

The OP said there was a battery problem with low volts therefore being inevitable.
--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

London SW