1995 BMW 318i Auto transmission warning light on with no gear selection

I was driving along, and at the traffic lights, while the car is idling, felt it revved erratically. The car died at the fruit market (which I think was to do with the battery), then after starting it, the transmission warning light came on. I can drive with it, but it drives like a scooter, it seems it is only in one gear (3rd gear maybe). Is there a relay in the fusebox for the auto transmission? Can it be that the relay went when the cars power dipped (went dead)? Where would I start with trouble shooting?

Reply to
Ed.naude

It is fixed.... Disconnected battery then reconnected battery, so that the 'default' or 'Limp home' mode is deselected. Now I can dice and drift again, HAHA

Reply to
Ed.naude

You need to find out why this happened. It may just be low volts and all you need is a long run or a new battery, or it could be more serious.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

The OP said there was a battery problem with low volts therefore being inevitable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed.

So if it is dropped the lid stays on and the contents inside. The alternative: -

could be described as embarrassing to say the least!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton