1995 BMW 325i Problem: Steering Wheel Self Lock

Help needed here.

My 1995 BMw 325i's steering wheel got self-locked today. So I tried the usual drill: putting in my key in the ignition slot and trying to turn the wheel, it worked as before.

What happend after this is the problem: I took the key out and tried to turn the steering wheel to see if the tires are wearing out evenly. The steering wheel self-locked again. I put the key in the ignition slot and try to release it again. This time, no matter how hard I turned the key and the steering wheel, the steering wheel is not unlocked.

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone offer any help? Thanks.

Reply to
Scratch Golfer

You've managed to bind the steering wheel lock. You have to hold the steering wheel the right way to release the binding that is taking place.

If you want to turn the steering wheel to inspect the tire tread, why don't you start the motor and turn the wheel while the power steering unit can assist you? In any case, you have to leave the key in the ON position so that the lock does not engage.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland