1996 bmw 318is upgrading rims question

I have a bmw 318 is and I currently have the stock 15" rims on it, I would like to get some 17" factory rims off a 2001 3 series on it and
was wondering if I could just do it staright or would i need to lift it at all....If anyone has done this any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Brandon

Short answer: no.
Long answer: you won't be changing the diameter of the wheel, just the amount of rubber (less) and metal (more). You have several options in tire size there is no single right answer. Just make sure the new size is withing 2% of the number of revolutions per mile
Here's a handy dandy calculator I wrote:
    http://mbz.org/sys/tires
One thing, if it were me I'd go to 16" not 17". There is a penalty in terms of stiffness of ride and comfort and wide-ass 16" are enough to give you that HOLY SHIT slot car handling. 17's in my opinion aren't THAT much better and he ride is pretty severe. But that's a subjective thing and YMMV.

While there may be truth to the rumor that there is a penalty to skip the 16s and go directly to 17s, that's exactly what I did on my 325i (and later my 325iC), and I found no penalty at all. I do mostly freeway driving, and I found no practical difference in the 15s and the 17s, except that the 17s are alot cheaper.
I see no reason to go to 16s, make the jump all of the way to 17s if you are going to make the jump at all.
PS The 3 Series cars work fine with a 225/45x17. The tires fit well, and the speedo is dead nuts accurate at 80+ mph.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Last I looked, the 16" tires were the cheapest of all.