1996 e38 blower relay

Could anyone tell me where the a/c and/or vent blower relay is. 1996

740il. Found some by fuse box in trunk by battery but none are labeled. Also found some relays behind the glove box but again none labeled. Any help greatly appreciated. I'm trying to cover every possibility before removing dash to check or change blower.

Symptoms: nothing at all on any setting. When I turn blower control off completely I can hear the circulation flaps open or close but I get nothing from the blower itself.

Thanks in advance.

fish4specs

1992 740i - sold and regret it 1996 740il - limping along
Reply to
fred

If it's like most other BMWs, it will be the final stage 'resistor'. The fourth one on my E39 has just failed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your problem is more likely to be the ballast resistor than the relay. Typically, the fan speeds will drop out one at a time until only HI is the last remaining speed that is available. The ballast resistor can be found from inside the car to the right of the center console. I think you can find the resistor pack on eBay, but I don't know that for a fact. I'd get the new resistor then look for the old one once you know what you're looking for. It is not a difficult part to replace -- I observed a guy do it in his 5 Series car in the driveway in about 5 minutes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for the replies. With further net research looks like this model

740il doesn't use a relay but the resistor and is unique in that the resistor is attached to the blower motor. - At least that's what it looks like so far.

However, I have other symptoms. I short order at about same time blower stopped working, My battery went dead, dash lights stay on and drivers side window will not work. Could all this be coincidence or is it possible all are related to a bad ELM. I have seen were bad ELM can cause varies electrical problems but I have not seen it associated with window or blower motors. Any thoughts?

Reply to
fred

Seen any bad fuses? Or fusible links?

If the resistor pack has failed into a short it can take out all kinds of crap. The schematic in the electrical manual will tell you everything... start from the battery and work down with the meter and see where the current stops.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey