1997 528i rear rattling on bumpy pavement

I have taken everything loose out of the trunk and it still rattles in the rear when you ride over bumpy pavement or speed bumps.
I've read where this model might have premature problems with something in
the rear suspension.
Any ideas are much appreciated!

One of the sway bar links failed on mine. Easy to change and cheap.
--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Did it sound like a rattle or a thump?

Rattle.
--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:05:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Yep, and it's simple enough to lie on the ground without even jacking up the car, look underneath and jiggle the links around to see if there's any play at all in them. Any play at all means, of course, that you should replace them.
--
Dan.

I applied the brakes during one of the rattling sounds and the rattling stopped. I lightly pumped the brakes during another rattling session and the sound stoped every time the brakes were applied. The brake pads must be loose. Taking it back to dealer to fix since it is still under warenty.
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:34:27 -0500, "Notgiven"

If your '97 car is under warranty for things like that, then you should by all means get them to fix it. Let us know how you get on.
--
Dan.

Where is the jack and other tools on this model. I once traced (after weeks) an annoying jingle on mild acceleration to an umbrella on the parcel shelf.

I took the tools and jack out - it still made noise. Maybe it's the CD's in the rear changer - I'll try there next.

it was NOT the CDs in the CD changer
Are both the anti rattle clips in place on the rear calipers?