1997 528i with inspection light displaying when starting car - what to do?

I bought my car in March with 63k. Now it has 73k miles and, when I start the car, the driver display shows a "Inspection" light with one
yellow and one read light.
Does that simply mean it's time for an inspection?
I've noticed there a little rough noise when accelerating from 0 to 5-10 MPH then it goes away. Any ideas?
Many thanks!
On 9 Oct 2006 07:22:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Do you not have the manual?
Toby wrote:

No, I don't.

is there a little clock next to the word? if so it is the annual inspection light. the coolant and brake fluid require flushing. Clive B
Correct, That means that its time for the Inspection service to be done on your car. Without the manual and proper documentation it may be hard to see if you need Inspection 1 or 2 done. With that many miles im going to guess that its time for Inspection 2 service to be done. Some cases BMW can pull up service records via VIN and see what has been done, but that would be up to the previous repairs shops to document it in the BMW system.
As far as the Excel issue. It could be something they will find during the inspection, or it might be something you need to mention so they can look at that more closely.
Services typically go like this:
15,000 = Oil Service (Average price for mine is $120-150USD*) 30,000 = Inspection 1 (Average price for mine is $3500-400USD*) 45,000 = Oil Service 60,000 = Inspection 2 (Average price for mine is $800-950USD*) 75,000 = Oil Service 90,000 = Inspection 1
and repeat, Now your COULD have been done sooner or out of that order, not knowing your car or the manual it would be hard for me to say. I would consult with your local BMW Authorized Repair Center.
-Branden
*I have a 99' 528i E39 and that is at the BMW Dealer. I have a local guy I goto that's Certified and his prices are less then that.

Branden Nelsen wrote:

Many thanks Branden! My car has 73K miles and nothing has been done since I bought it in march at 73K miles. The dealer I just called said it was time for a Inspection II and it would run around $670 and take 3 - 4 hours.
Thanks again