1998 Z3 Code 1423

I am getting a Code 1423 secondary air system. Is that a problem with air filter? Gas tank cap?

Appreciate any help I am new to this Z3 and am trying to learn some auto mechanics.

I just had BMW folks fix some leaking vent house and vent valves.

Reply to
Randy

Here is the link to the OBD II Codes,

All codes have 5 digits, an alpha digit and 4 numeric digits. The code you gave us is short a digit. Assuming your code is P1423, it is not related to the Evaproative Emissions Control System. All codes for this system are in the range of P0440 to P0459.

I would write a list of all codes, then reset the computer so there are no codes being stored. Then, if the Check light comes on again, compare the code(s) at that time with the list you have and repair the system where there is a match.

Since you recently acquired the car, you can't be sure that any codes displayed now are current or were generated a very long time ago. Jot down any codes you have today, then erase all codes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff,,,,,,,,I may need to clarify this is a 4 cyl 1.9. The Bentley Service manual says the code P1423 refers to the Secondary Air System (Bank 1). The web site does not list P1423.

How do I found out, though the specific part(s) or component that is malfunctioning?

I went ahead and cleared the codes...........

Reply to
Randy

Jeff I see from a previous post it has to do with the air pump and check valve needing to be replaced................................

Reply to
Randy

All engines have Bank 1, no matter what type -- inline or V -- they are. If they are a V, then they have Bank 2, and an inline 6 can have a Bank 2 if it also has a split manifold (a pair of 3 into 1s).

Secondary Air is the Air Pump system. This system injects a pulse of fresh air into the exhaust stream to assist in cleaning the exhaust inside the CAT. Combustion requires fuel, heat, and air. The exhaust stream contains fuel, the CAT provides heat, and the secondary air system gives a breath of air. All of this comes together to combust the contents of the exhaust stream so that it comes out of the CAT cleaner than it went in.

You can inspect the exhaust manifold, and you will find a tube assembly that connects to the manifold near where the manifold connects to the head. I'm not certain what the code means, but the secondary air is not very complex, and you should be able to identify the problem. Before you do that though, you should reset the codes and chill for a few days to see if the code pops up again. It might be a transitory problem that won't come back.

According to my Bentley Manual, the injection system I explained is only active when the engine starts cold. The system is deactivated after the engine comes up to temp. Perhaps the Check light is telling you the system did not shut off properly. The code you report is not listed -- actually, none of the OBD II codes are listed. (your Bentley must be a later version than mine.)

I also noticed that P1423 was not listed on the link.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,I have cleared the code and will wait and see what pops up if anything. Thanks for the information it was very helpful.

Reply to
Randy

You're welcome. Hope I helped.

Reply to