1999 735i

I'm watching The Transporter for the first time (okay, so I'm a late comer) and the vehicle at the beginning of the movie is a '99 735i. But it shows the guy using a stick. It takes place in France. Did the 735
ever come with a stick? Are there after-market kits to put a stick into a 7 series?
--
Cats do not have to be show how to have a good time, for they are
unfailing ingenious in that respect. - James Mason
Voinin wrote:

The 735 did come in stick - with a 5 speed available in the US, but it was very rare as very few dealers would risk stocking it. I have a friend with one. I believe his is around a 1996 or so.
You also could do a conversion to stick but due to the electronics involved it's not a trivial conversion. Brett Anderson has done a number of them, including one to a 750iL (V12 long-wheelbase).

No. You are wrong. There has not been a 735i sold in the US since the M30 went away in '92 - the last model available with a manual. The recent 735i are V8, which was never sold in the US. If he has a manual, it was a conversion. But it's not a 735i - it would be either a 740i or 750i; and as you say, conversions are available.
FloydR

E23 (to 1987) 735i' frequently had 5 speed manual boxes (I had two and later an auto). Early E23's had three speed [under geared] autoboxes later ones four speed. A manual was much better than a three speed auto, and better than the four speed if pressing on. The manual was a bit of a drag in traffic around town though.
E32 (from 1987 - 1994) rarely had manual boxes, however some of the early 735iL's had manual boxes. These cars were intended to be driven by chauffeurs.
Later E32's had 5 speed switchable auto boxes. Few drivers will out change this box.
E38's (1995-2000) mainly came with steptronic boxes.
E65 (2001-) have six speed boxes and idrive.
AFAIK current 7 series do not come with manual boxes, although a friend of mine has a 645i with a six speed manual and you could get this on 8x0 as well.
The E38 short wheel base 6 cylinder cars were available with a 5spd. The E38 short wheel base V8's were available with a 6spd.
No long wheel base, or V12's of either type were available with a manual trans.
We've done several V12 6spd conversions in our shop. It can be done, but it's pricey due to the fact that BMW never put a 6spd behind the M73 V12, so the trans has to be custom modified.
If you have an E38 short wheel base, you can order all the parts for the conversion from BMW. (around $8000), but still have to deal with reprogramming most of the 20 odd control modules in the vehicle.
Brett Anderson KMS - Koala Motorsport