1999 ecu remapping recall

Does anyone know anything about this? It's on a 1997 540i (4.4) and apparently was to remap the ecu to prevent catalyst damage. For some reason the original owner of the car never did it. I can get it done for free, but does anyone know exactly what it does? I'm only concerned in case it reduces power or something undesirable like that.

Reply to
Dan Buchan