1999 ecu remapping recall

Does anyone know anything about this? It's on a 1997 540i (4.4) and apparently was to remap the ecu to prevent catalyst damage. For some reason the original owner of the car never did it. I can get it done for free, but
does anyone know exactly what it does? I'm only concerned in case it reduces power or something undesirable like that.