2000 328i Power Window Problem

Hi - I put my passenger rear window down today and heard a crunching noise. Needless to say it would not go back up. After removing the door panel it
looks like the cable got wrapped up around the motor or something else. I've never dealt with BMW windows before ( only US cars with mechanical linkage) but it looks like I need a new regulator and not the motor. Does this sound right? If so is it a big job to replace?
thanks Jeff
My daughter's '00 323 had this problem too. I found a new window regulator on eBay for about $60. It was very easy to replace. I do not recall exactly, but I think the regulator comes out with the motor attached, and you simply swap the motor to a new regulator and reinstall. In any case, I found the job to be pretty easy. You MUST be sure you get the proper regulator for the door -- left, right, front, rear, and any combination thereof.
You must remove the regulator and replace it, you can not rewind the cable -- especially since the cable is badly kinked by now.
While the regulator is off, you can push the window up and use a suitable tape to hold it so you can keep the car in service if you need to do that.
My kid had this trouble on the left side rear door, but I can't imagine there is any practical difference.

Jeff SBC wrote:

It's the regulator (trust me on this). The guides are plastic molded around the cable and they break in normal use.
Replacement is not difficult with the right tools to remove the door panel and so on. It's impossible to remove the plastic sheet inside the door without tearing it when it's cold. Make sure you have a warm place to work and let the door warm up for a while to soften the glue that holds it on, and you can remove it with gentle steady pressure and reuse it.
Also, assuming you know how and are comfortable with handling air bags, make sure you disconnect the battery for the specified interval (I forget how long) before unplugging one (they are standard in front, optional in the rear for the E46) or the system will be disabled and you'll have to pay to get it reset. (The longest interval I've found on any car I've worked on to date is 20 minutes, so I always wait that long rather than trying to remember which are which. When I find one that's longer I'll increase my wait time. ;-)
--
JRE

Thanks all - my fun will be it's only in the 30's here in Oklahoma, so I guess a hair dryer will help remove the insulation panel.
Jeff