2000 523 Auto - Stall or running rough when WARM

My 523 occasionally stalls immediately after starting, or runs with reduced power and threatens to stall when stationary. But this only happens if the engine is started when it is warm.
If the engine is cold it starts and runs fine. Any ideas before I donate loads of cash to my local BMW delaer?