2000 528i good buy?

Hi, I've had the opportunity of driving the above BMW recently and was tryly impressed. I'm presently driving a 300e MB and am looking for a newer car..... certainly wouldn't mind trying a BMW. Is this particular series frought with problems? Anyone care to make a recomendation re a 3 to 5 year old (or therabouts) BMW to get?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

"Guenter Scholz" wrote

A 5-year-old or younger will get you a 530i, which has the newer/bigger engine. I'm looking for one myself, although I want one with a manual tranny and the sports package and it's very very tough to find (i'm in south FL).

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Good luck - a buddy of mine has been looking for one of those for over a year! Apparently a sport package with the manual a rare option package. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

"E Brown" wrote

Yeah... I've been scouring various for sale boards for over 6 months (although I'm not ready to buy yet), and they are very rare indeed. If I can't find one, another car I'd consider is the 330ci manual sport, which is a little easier to find, but still not abundant.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

there's a few up here in Toronto... I need an auto for my wife. Is the difference only the engine size of 2.8 vs 3.0 or are there other significant aspects to the newer 3.0 engine?

good luck in your search, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Because their owners have no reason to ever let them go.

John

530i SP 5sp
Reply to
John Carrier

"Guenter Scholz"

Looks like the 3.0 also gets better mileage (on paper at least). Other than that, there don't appear to be any differences:

But then again, I'm no expert on the 5-series, or any other BMW. I'm just a prospective buyer.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I can only talk about the autos, but the 530 is a lot more lively than the

528 - indeed it actually beats the 535 V-8.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anyone care to make a recomendation re a 3 to 5 year

I got a 2003 530 (e39) a few months ago. The best car I have ever driven. It got great reviews from Consumer Reports when the model was released and I can understand why.

Anything newer than 2003 will get you the newer model (e60), which some consider to be less desirable.

Ambrose

Reply to
ambrose88

thanks for that Ambrose, much appreciated

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz