2000 528i good buy?

Hi, I've had the opportunity of driving the above BMW recently and was tryly impressed. I'm presently driving a 300e MB and am looking for a newer
car..... certainly wouldn't mind trying a BMW. Is this particular series frought with problems? Anyone care to make a recomendation re a 3 to 5 year old (or therabouts) BMW to get?
cheers, guenter
"Guenter Scholz" wrote

A 5-year-old or younger will get you a 530i, which has the newer/bigger engine. I'm looking for one myself, although I want one with a manual tranny and the sports package and it's very very tough to find (i'm in south FL).
Pete

    Good luck - a buddy of mine has been looking for one of those for over a year! Apparently a sport package with the manual a rare option package.     epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
"E Brown" wrote

Yeah... I've been scouring various for sale boards for over 6 months (although I'm not ready to buy yet), and they are very rare indeed. If I can't find one, another car I'd consider is the 330ci manual sport, which is a little easier to find, but still not abundant.
Pete

Because their owners have no reason to ever let them go.
John 530i SP 5sp

    there's a few up here in Toronto... I need an auto for my wife. Is the difference only the engine size of 2.8 vs 3.0 or are there other significant aspects to the newer 3.0 engine?
good luck in your search, guenter
"Guenter Scholz"

Looks like the 3.0 also gets better mileage (on paper at least). Other than that, there don't appear to be any differences:
http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t1795&v=t92979
But then again, I'm no expert on the 5-series, or any other BMW. I'm just a prospective buyer.
Pete

I can only talk about the autos, but the 530 is a lot more lively than the 528 - indeed it actually beats the 535 V-8.
--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Anyone care to make a recomendation re a 3 to 5 year

I got a 2003 530 (e39) a few months ago. The best car I have ever driven. It got great reviews from Consumer Reports when the model was released and I can understand why.
Anything newer than 2003 will get you the newer model (e60), which some consider to be less desirable.
Ambrose

    thanks for that Ambrose, much appreciated
cheers, guenter