2000 BMW Z3 Power Convertible Top Stopped Working!

Hi,

The other day I attempted to put the top down on my BMW Z3 2.3 and absolutely nothing happened. The motor didn't run, couldn't hear it at all and of course top didn't move. I assumed the motor has burned out. I had noticed the past few months, the motor seemed to struggle a little. My question is how do I find this part? I've been trying to get a part number so I could order it but have googled and searched everywhere and have found no references to it. Does anybody know where I can find one (not just a shop or eCommerce store, but the actually part number or name of the part)? I did find reference to an electronic control module, but not sure if that's what I actually need. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated! It may be that I'm not using the right keywords, i figured I could easily find references to it w/ Convertible top motor, or something like that, but no luck.

Thanks,

Nathan

Reply to
nathan_cowan

On 8 Dec 2005 19:10:57 -0800, against all advice, something compelled nathan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, to say:

Better 'n the other way 'round.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

I believe that I would debug the problem just a little bit more. It could be that the motor has burned out, but you are just assuming that. It might be that the mechanism is binding which contributed to the motor problem. It could be that the cutoff switch has burned out. Doesn't the Bentley manual show the parts in question?

Merely replacing the motor without really understanding the problem is just throwing parts at the situation. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have a 2004 manual roof. The thing is soooooo easy to go up and down. To go down, it is easier to perform from outside. Going up can easily be performed from inside.

Your post makes me feel better that I got manual. I think it saved me at least 1k and probably many more thousands in potential repairs.

-jpl-

Reply to
Jean-Paul

Have you checked the fuse?

Reply to
zerouali

I doubt the motor is burnt out. I have to help my top by giving it a push to get going.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland