2000 E39 Fuel Pump bad? HELP!

Hi,

I just posted a message earlier today about having a problem with the speedometer not working intermitantly

NOW, the car just died for no reason. I found the fuel pump fuse blown but when I put a new one in it blows instantly when I start the car.

Bad fuel pump? Or something else causing the problem? Do you think these two problems are related?

Help!!!

Reply to
Jeff

Does it blow when the fuel pump relay is removed? Does it blow when the fuel pump connector underneath is disconnected.

Something is shorted. Your job is to find where it is, by breaking the path at various places along the line and noting the behaviour.

Could be related, if you have a multipin conector failing, or a cable bundle being cut. Find the fuel pump problem first, then you might find the speedometer problem too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

This sounds like the work of critters.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Turns out it was NOT the fuel pump.

It was a frayed wire under the passenger seat shorting out. GO FIGURE.

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:frhbhh$dvg$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Reply to
Jeff

Yup, I can believe that! And I can also believe that if there is one frayed wire under there that there are probably two or three of them.

So, how did you find it?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey