2000 E39 key remote

The one key remote I have for my BMW all of a sudden stopped working. I have only had the key for about a year and a half. Is there an easy way to
determine whether the problem is with the key, or the receiver or whether the key is being charged while in the ignition?
This is the key that I use on a regular daily basis. $200 for a key... they have to last longer than a year and half, correct?
It is probably a dead battery. Its a tiny round battery like those used in wristwaches. I've never heard of a key that can be charged while in the ignition...
Best of luck!
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:38:44 -0400, "vricardo"

You have now...
--
Dan.

Even still, the batteries in a cordless phone that get recharged while the phone is in the cradle need to be replaced from time to time.
My guess is the OP needs a new battery in his key.

My 2001 530 was charged by plugging the key in to the ignition - I had two supplied and rotated them monthly - they apparently should last about 6 months on a full charge and 1000 operations of one key until it lost its registration with the other - it changes the code upon every use ! - replacements were about 80 GBP I believe !
Nick
My 525 (E60) charges the key (and transfers data to it too) while it is in the ignition. Simple technology and works as long as the battery/acc is of good quality

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:29:02 +0000, Hakvinius wrote:

E46 keys are not like that...
Of course not! I was just informing vricardo (quouted: "I've never heard of a key that can be charged while in the ignition...") that those keys exist.

I'm wondering why? The button cell in my E39 key lasted about 5 years. I'd say you'd be lucky to get that out of a re-chargeable type.
--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Don't think they get charged - they use a replaceable cell. It's a standard item you should get easily.
--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

">

"There is an extended-life battery in every master key that is charged automatically in the steering lock as you drive. For this reason, if you have a master key that is otherwise not used, use that
key approximately once every year while driving for an extended period to
charge the battery."
If it is the battery, it only lasted just over a year. Seems to be more of a diminished life than an extended life. Even if the battery is replaceable it doesn't appear to be user replaceable. Looks like I need to make a trip to the dealer.